Historic Markers Across South Carolina



First Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 43-21
Location: 107 East Liberty Street, Sumter
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 33° 55.221    W 080° 20.372
  33.92035    -80.33953333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Organized in 1813 with thirteen members, this branch of Stateburg´s High Hills of Santee Baptist Church (founded before 1772) became an independent congregation on September 24,1820. It became known as Sumterville Baptist Church, and among early ministers who preached there were Dr. John Roberts and Dr. Richard Furman, noted pastor, patriot, and educator.

(Reverse)
By 1820 this congregation had built Sumter´s first church. Subsequent buildings date from 1854, 1902 (now Brown Chapel), and 1973. Named First Baptist in 1901, the church has been active in Southern Baptist associations and conventions, as well as in missions. It has sponsored four churches and ordained a number of ministers.

Erected by Sumter County Historical Commission - 1983