Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Furman Academy and Theological Institution



Marker ID: SCHM 43-22
Location: From Sumter, travel NW on US 521 to SC 441 and turn left; travel a short distance and turn left on Road 803; it is a short distance to the marker
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 33° 55.444    W 080° 20.656
  33.92406666    -80.34426666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Established by the S. C. Baptist Convention in 1825, Furman opened in Edgefield in 1826. Later sites were here at High Hills (1829 - 1834), Winnsboro (1837 - 1850), and Greenville in 1851 (now Furman University). In 1859 the theological department became the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, which moved to Louisville, Ky., in 1877.

(Reverse)
The Rev. Jesse Hartwell was director of this school at High Hills, which took its name from Dr. Richard Furman (1755 - 1825), noted patriot, theologian, and educator. A native of New York state, Furman moved to High Hills with his parents in 1770. The property here was given to Sumter County Historical Commission by Furman University in 1978.

Erected by Sumter County Historical Commission - 1984