Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Cane Savannah Plantation



Marker ID: SCHM 43-43
Location: Wedgefield Rd. & St. Paul's Church Rd., Cane Savannah
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 33° 54.087    W 080° 26.999
  33.90145    -80.44998333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
Cane Savannah Plantation was established in 1784 by a 4000-acre grant to Lt. Col. Matthew Singleton (1730-1787), state representative and officer who had served under Francis Marion during the American Revolution. The plantation is named for Cane Savannah Creek, a branch of the Black River. Singleton had moved from Va. to S.C. with his wife Mary James Singleton in 1753.

(Reverse)
Singleton built a house nearby, where he died in 1787.Cane Savannah then passed to his daughter Nancy and her husband Isham Moore (1750-1803), state representative and judge. Their son John Isham Moore (1792-1852) was a militia officer and state senator. The main house burned about 1920, cotton production soon declined, and Cane Savannah was eventually divided into tracts.

Erected by the Sumter County Historical Commission, 2010