Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Concord Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 43-44
Location: 3350 E. Brewington Rd., Sumter
County: Sumter
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This church, organized in 1808 by Rev. George G. McWhorter of the Salem Black River Presbyterian Church, held its first services in a brush arbor near Concord Springs. The next year Gen. Thomas Sumter donated two acres to the Concord Society to build a “Meeting House,” which was built soon afterwards.

(Reverse)
Concord is the mother church of First Presbyterian Church of Sumter (1823). In 1832 noted college president and theologian James Henley Thornwell (1812-1862) professed his faith during a service here, while he was teaching at an academy in Sumter. The present Greek Revival sanctuary was built in 1841.

Erected by the Congregation, 2010