Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Cross Keys House



Marker ID: UDC 44-3
Location: Intersection of SC 49 and Road 22, 10 miles SW of Union
County: Union
Coordinates: N 34° 37.939    W 081° 46.386
  34.63231666    -81.7731
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
A post office was established in 1809 at Cross Keys, S.C. In 1812 - 14, Barrum Bobo erected this house at the intersection of the Piedmont Stage Road and the Old Buncombe Road. During the antebellum period, it was the center of a prosperous plantation. The gables of the building contain the cross keys insignia and the dates of construction.

(Reverse)
On April 30, 1865, during the retreat from Richmond, Virginia, Jefferson Davis passed through Cross Keys, S.C., accompanied by the Confederate cabinet and his military escort of five brigades. Mrs. Mary Whitmire Davis, who owned the Cross Keys House at that time, afterwards related to her descendants the story of President Davis´s luncheon at the house.

Erected by Cherokee District United Daughters of the Confederacy - 1970