Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Fairforest Meeting



Marker ID: SCHM 44-4
Location: SC 49, 8 miles SW of Union
County: Union
Coordinates: N 34° 41.01    W 081° 42.54
  34.6835    -81.709
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

One and five tenths miles SW stood the original Fairforest Baptist Church. The members, led by the Reverend Philip Mulkey, came from North Carolina to Broad River about 1759. In 1762, the church moved to Fairforest where, as the first Baptist church in the up country, it established other churches. During the American Revolution, it was in a Tory controlled area.

Erected by SC Baptist Historical Society - 1975