Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Sims High School



Marker ID: SCHM 44-8
Location: Union Blvd. (S.C. Hwy. 496), Union, SC
County: Union
Coordinates: N 34° 42.43    W 081° 37.077
  34.70716666    -81.61795
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Sims High School stood here from 1927 until the early 1970s and was the first black high school in Union County. It was named for its founder, Rev. A.A. Sims (1872-1965), who was its principal 1927-1951. It included grades 6-11 until 1949 and 6-12 afterwards, and educated blacks from Union and surrounding counties. In 1956 it moved to a new building on Sims Drive. The high school closed in 1970, but that building now houses the present Sims Jr. High.

Erected by the Historical Marker Committee, Sims High School Alumni, 2004