Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Padgett's Creek Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 44-9
Location: 843 Old Buncombe Rd., (S.C. Hwy. 18), Union, SC
County: Union
Coordinates: N 34° 37.433    W 081° 44.667
  34.62388333    -81.74445
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This church was founded in 1784 by Revs. John Webb and John Cole, with Barnet Putman and William Wilbanks, Sr. as its first deacons. It was first called “the Church of Christ on Tyger River” and renamed Padgett Creek Baptist Church by 1800. The first sanctuary, a log building, stood about a mile south.

(reverse)
The second sanctuary, a frame building, was completed nearby about 1810. This sanctuary, described as “elegant and commodious” by an early church historian, was built 1844-48. It was enlarged by the addition of a portico and steeple in 1958. The church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

Erected by the Congregation, 2004