Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Union Community Hospital / Dr. L.W. Long



Marker ID: SCHM 44-10
Location: 213 W. Main St., Union, SC
County: Union
Coordinates: N 34° 42.877    W 081° 37.539
  34.71461666    -81.62565
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

UNION COMMUNITY HOSPITAL


Union Community Hospital served the black community of Union County and nearby areas from 1932 to 1975. Built as a house ca. 1915, it was converted into a hospital by Dr. L.W. Long in 1932 with the support of several local churches. The building was covered in brick veneer in the 1930s, and a rear addition was built in 1949. The hospital was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.

DR. L.W. LONG


Dr. Lawrence W. Long (1906-1985), a native of Union County, was educated at Howard University and Meharry Medical College before returning to Union and founding this hospital. Long also hosted annual clinics attended by doctors from S.C. and the Southeast 1934-1975. A lifelong leader in medicine and public health who was also active in civic affairs in Union, Long was named S.C. Doctor of the Year in 1957 and National Doctor of the Year in 1958.

Erected by the L.W. Long Resource Center, 2004