Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Presbyterian Cemetery



Marker ID: SCHM 44-13
Location: Corner of N. Pinckney St. & Wedgewood Ct., Union, SC
County: Union
Coordinates: N 34° 43.15    W 081° 37.45
  34.71916666    -81.62416666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This cemetery, the oldest in Union, was established ca. 1817 and sometimes called the “village cemetery.” In 1818 a Presbyterian “union” church used by other denominations as well moved here from a 1783 site about 2 mi. E. Alexander Macbeth then deeded the cemetery to the elders for use as a “burying ground of a Presbyterian Meeting House.”

(reverse)
This cemetery includes the graves of many prominent citizens of Union, both Presbyterians and members of other denominations. Governors David Johnson (1782-1855) and Thomas B. Jeter (1827-1883) are buried here. This is also the site of the first Union Presbyterian Church, a frame church built ca. 1819 and which was sold to the Union City School District in 1883.

Erected by the Union County Historical Society, 2006