Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Site of Union Church, 1783-1819



Marker ID: SCHM 44-14
Location: Lockhart Hwy. (S.C. Hwy. 49), Monarch, SC
County: Union
Coordinates: N 34° 43.254    W 081° 35.346
  34.7209    -81.5891
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
A “union” church, one founded as a Presbyterian congregation but also used by other denominations, stood here from ca. 1783 to ca. 1819. The church was founded ca. 1765 at Brown´s Creek, 2 or 3 mi. NE. It met there in successive log churches, but suspended services at times during the American Revolution. The congregation moved here and built a hewn-log church on this site not long after the war, probably ca. 1783.

(reverse)
The church, with entrances on the west and south, featured a high boxed pulpit and was used by Baptists, Quakers, and others. Both Union County, founded as a judicial district in 1785, and its county seat Unionville (now Union) were named for this “union” church. Several veterans of the American Revolution are buried here. The congregation moved to Unionville and built a church there ca. 1819.

Erected by the Union County Council, 2006