Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old Muster Ground And Courthouse



Marker ID: SCHM 45-4
Location: Courthouse grounds, Kingstree
County: Williamsburg
Coordinates: N 33° 39.809    W 079° 49.869
  33.66348333    -79.83115
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This lot was designated the parade ground in the original survey of the town in 1737. It served as the muster ground for the local militia during colonial and Revolutionary times. The present courthouse, designed by Robert Mills, was built in 1823. The second story burned in 1883 and was repaired. The courthouse was enlarged in 1901 and remodelled again in 1954

Sponsored by Margaret Gregg Gordon Clu!pter DAR and Erected by Williamsburg County - 1964