Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Black Mingo Presbyterian Meeting House



Marker ID: SCHM 45-7
Location: At Rhems, intersection of SC 41 and Road 24
County: Williamsburg
Coordinates: N 33° 36.137    W 079° 26.427
  33.60228333    -79.44045
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
One of the earliest Dissenter congregations in South Carolina north of the Santee River was located about two miles south of here. Its church building had been completed by 1727 when the Rev. Thomas Morritt, Episcopal minister of Charleston, visited the area.

(Reverse)
In 1742, this Dissenter congregation of the "Presbyterian Persuasion ... of Scotland" received 100 pounds currency from Wm. Swinton for a new building. Also in 1742, William Thompson, Jr., willed the Dissenters 100 pounds and 4 acres, and their brick meeting house was soon built. By 1824, the church had dissolved.

Erected by Three Rivers Historical Society - 1982