Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Williamsburg Church



Marker ID: SCHM 45-10
Location: 411 North Academy Street, Kingstree, SC
County: Williamsburg
Coordinates: N 33° 40.127    W 079° 49.915
  33.66878333    -79.83191666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This Presbyterian church was established 1736 by John Witherspoon and other early Scotch - Irish settlers. Originally located about 1 mile east at Williamsburg Cemetery, the congregation moved here to Academy Street in 1890; the present sanctuary was completed in 1913. A number of congregations have come from this church, which is the oldest continuing ecclesiastical group in Williamsburg County.

Erected by the congregation - 1993