Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mccollum-Murray House



Marker ID: SCHM 45-17
Location: 2 C.E. Murray Blvd., Greeleyville, SC
County: Williamsburg
Coordinates: N 33° 34.899    W 079° 59.52
  33.58165    -79.992
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This house, with Classical Revival architectural influences, was built ca. 1906 for Edward J. McCollum (1867-1942), African-American businessman and machinist with the Mallard Lumber Company. In 1922, when twelve-year-old Charles E. Murray´s father William died, McCollum and his wife Margaret (1886-1949) took him in. They considered him their foster son and encouraged him to pursue his education.

(reverse)
Charles E. Murray (1910-1999), prominent African-American educator, lived here from 1922 until he died. A graduate of what is now S.C. State University, he taught at Tomlinson High in Kingstree 1929-41 and 1945-60. He was principal of the Williamsburg County Training School (after 1972 C.E. Murray Elementary and High School) 1960-83. This house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.

Erected by the Dr. Charles E. Murray Historical Foundation of Greeleyville, 2007


Notes:

Missing as of March 2010