Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. Alban’s Episcopal Church



Marker ID: SCHM 45-18
Location: 113 E. Church St., Kingstree, SC
County: Williamsburg
Coordinates: N 33° 40.021    W 079° 49.782
  33.66701666    -79.8297
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
St. Alban´s Episcopal Church has long been the only continuously active Episcopal congregation in Williamsburg County. It was founded in 1879 by Carrie Simons (1849-1938), who persuaded Bishop W.W. Howe to help her organize a mission church with a few communicants. In 1887 Simons moved to Kingstree and married Michael F. Heller. She continued to support St. Alban´s until her death.

(reverse)
This sanctuary, a fine example of the Carpenter Gothic style, was built between 1889 and 1895 and was completed during the tenure of the Rev. Herbert Jarvis. Jarvis, priest here 1894-98, named the church St. Alban´s. The Revs. William Guerry and William Moore, supply priests here 1891-94 and 1940-44, later became bishops. White and black families have worshipped together at St. Alban´s since the 1890s.

Erected by the Congregation, 2008