Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mcclary Cemetery



Marker ID: SCHM 45-19
Location: Sims Reach Rd., .75 mi. of its junction with S.C. Hwy. 527, Kingstree, SC
County: Williamsburg
Coordinates: N 33° 37.874    W 079° 46.509
  33.63123333    -79.77515
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
John McClary (1760-1833) established this cemetery about 1789, on high ground near Boggy Swamp. McClary´s will, dated 1831, provided for headstones for himself and his three wives: Mary Raphield (1757-1792), Margaret Blackwell (1769-1799), and Sarah Raphield (1760-1815). Many of John McClary´s descendants and other members of the community are buried here.

(reverse)
McClary, born in Northern Ireland, came to S.C. by 1780. He and his brothers served under Gen. Francis Marion during the Revolution. In 1791 he was one of the commissioners who surveyed and laid out the town of Kingstree. A Presbyterian elder, he helped reunite the Williamsburg and Bethel churches in 1828. He was perhaps the wealthiest planter in Williamsburgh District at his death.

Erected by the Harrington Family Foundation, 2010