Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Bullock Creek Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 46-2
Location: Intersection of SC 49 and SC 322, Bullock Creek
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 51.414    W 081° 24.66
  34.8569    -81.411
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Under leadership of Dr. Joseph Alexander, pastor 1774 - 1801, this church, organized in 1769, was a Whig stronghold during the Revolution. Three hundred yards west is the site of one of the earliest academies in upper South Carolina, established in 1787 by Dr. Alexander. One and one half miles southwest is the site of Dr. Alexander´s home, used as a hospital during the American Revolution.