Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Golumbia Seminary Chapel



Marker ID: SCHM 46-7
Location: Winthrop College campus, Rock Hill, SC
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 56.498    W 081° 1.821
  34.94163333    -81.03035
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This building was designed by Robert Mills and erected in Columbia, S.C., as the stable and carriage house of the mansion of Ainsley Hall; Chapel of Columbia Theological Seminary (Presbyterian), 1830 - 1927; first home of Winthrop College, 1886 - 1887. Woodrow Wilson accepted and confessed Christ here in 1873. The chapel was moved to Rock Hill, 1936. Site is 350 yards SW.

Erected by The Presbyterians of Rock Hill, South Carolina - 1967