Historic Markers Across South Carolina



First Presbyterian Church / Church Leaders



Marker ID: SCHM 46-8
Location: Corner of Church and Saluda streets, Rock Hill, SC
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 55.448    W 081° 01.495
  34.924133    -81.024917
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front) First Presbyterian Church
This church was begun in 1834 as :Antioch Chapel of Ebenezer Church under the leadership of Rev. John O. Richards on land of the Steales and Workmans, 3 mi. south of Rock HilL Mission moved in 1858 to this site, obtained from A. T. Black and later paid for by Mrs. Ann Hutchinson White and J. Spratt White. The church was organized on Nov. 13, 1869, with forty - six charter members led by Rev. R. E. Cooper, pastor.

(Reverse) Church Leaders
First ruling elders: J. F. Workman, H. H. Hart, R. D. L. McLeod. First deacons: Wm. Whyte, A. H. White, J. N. Steele, R. W. Workman, David Gordon. Three pastors have been moderators of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Church in the U. S.: Rev. W. T. Hall, Rev. W. L. Lingle, Rev. Alexander Sprunt. The longest pastorate has been that of Rev. Francis W. Gregg, 1910 - 1947.

Erected by the congregation on the occasion of the centenary of the church AD - 1969