Historic Markers Across South Carolina



White Home



Marker ID: UDC 46-10
Location: Corner of E White Street and Elizabeth Lane, Rock Hill
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 55.542    W 081° 1.344
  34.9257    -81.0224
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
About 1839, this former plantation house was built by George Pendleton White (1801 - 1849) and his wife, Ann Hutchison White (1805-1880). It has since sheltered five generations of a pioneer Rock Hill family. During the War of 1861 - 1865 needy Confederate soldiers were cared for here. The house contains a Prophet´s Chamber, reserved for the exclusive use of visiting ministers. The east wing was erected about 1878.

(Reverse)
Two renowned sons of this house were the Reverend James Spratt White (1841 - 1891) moderator of the Presbyterian Synod of S.C. and founder of the Rock Hill Public Library and of the Rock Hill public schools, and Andrew Hutchison White (1843 - 1903), intendant of Rock Hill, grand master of the Grand Lodge of Ancient Free Masons of South Carolina, and president of the State Agricultural and Mechanical Society.

Erected by Ann White Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy - 1972