Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Town of Clover



Marker ID: SCHM 46-18
Location: intersection of Kings Mountain Street and North Main Street.
County: York
Coordinates: N 35° 6.678    W 081° 13.59
  35.1113    -81.2265
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In 1887 the town of Clover was granted a charter by the General Assembly, its city limits to extend "one - half mile in every direction from the railroad depot." Clover Post Office had been established in 1874 with Zimri Carroll as postmaster. Six years later the Chester and Lenoir Railroad had completed its line here. The town´s first textile mill, organized by Captain
W. Beatty Smith, was chartered in 1890.

Erected by York County Historical Commission – 1981