Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Town of Yorkville / Town of York



Marker ID: SCHM 46-20
Location: on the York County Court House grounds, York, SC
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 59.679    W 081° 14.404
  34.99465    -81.24006666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Town of Yorkville


Formerly known as Fergus´s Cross Roads, later Yorkville, this county seat was established in 1785 on land originally granted to John Miller in 1767. According to Robert Mills, the town in 1826 had eight stores, five taverns, a male and female academy, post office, printing office, and about eighty houses. The coming of the railroad in 1852 brought prosperity, which was reflected in fine homes, public buildings, and educational institutions.

Town of York


During the Reconstruction period, turmoil in this area resulted in the sending of Federal troops under Col. Lewis Merrill to Yorkville and the declaration of martial law in 1871. Merrill was stationed at nearby Rose´s Hotel. During this time the agricultural economy of the area suffered greatly, but Reconstruction ended in 1876 and recovery gradually took place. In 1896 textiles came to the town, whose name was changed to York in 1915.

Erected by York County Historical Commission - 1981