Historic Markers Across South Carolina



First National Bank



Marker ID: SCHM 46-23
Location: In front of First National Bank on SC 49 in Sharon
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 55.772    W 081° 1.731
  34.92953333    -81.02885
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The first officers and directors of this bank, organized May 11, 1909, were:J. H. Saye, president; J. L. Rainey, vice president; A. M. Haddon, cashier; and W. M. Faulkner; W. B. Good; J. S. Hartness; Kelly Inman; C. L. Kennedy; J. E. Plexico; H. W. Shannon and W. C. Thomson. The building here was built 1909 - 10. At its merger with First Citizens Bank in 1986, it was the oldest continuing National Bank in York County.

(Reverse)
This building, a vernacular interpretation of Richardsonian romanesque architecture, today appears much as it did when built, 1909 - 10. Until 1929 the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing issued national currency for this bank; its name appeared on the front of the notes, which were signed by the bank´s president and cashier, J. H. Saye, and J. S. Hartness. At its merger in 1986 the bank was owned principally by descendants of its founders.

Erected by Pinckneyville Historical Society - 1987