Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hill's Ironworks



Marker ID: SCHM 46-24
Location: about 4 miles N of Newport on SC 274
County: York
Coordinates: N 35° 2.874    W 081° 5.95
  35.0479    -81.09916666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Rebuilt 1787 - 1788 near here on Allison Creek, Hill´s Ironworks consisted of two furnaces, four gristmills, two sawmills, and about fifteen thousand acres of land by 1795. Around eighty blacks were employed here as forgemen, blacksmiths, founders, miners, and in other occupations. A nail factory with three cutting machines was operating here by 1802.

Erected by York County Historical Commission - 1988


Notes:

Two sided - William Hill (1741 - 1816)