Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Town of Smyrna



Marker ID: SCHM 46-25
Location: At intersection of SC 97 and Road 233, Smyrna, SC
County: York
Coordinates: N 35° 2.554    W 081° 24.456
  35.04256666    -81.4076
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This town was named for Smyrna Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, organized ca. 1842. An academy was established here by 1870, and in 1888 the Charleston, Cincinnati, and Chicago Railroad completed its line here. Four years later the post office was established. The town was incorporated in 1895, its limits extending one - half mile in every direction from the railroad depot.

Erected by York County Historical Commission - 1981