Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Emmett Scott School



Marker ID: SCHM 46-27
Location: 1n front of Emmett Scott Center, Crawford Road, Rock Hill
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 55.038    W 081° 2.298
  34.9173    -81.0383
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This school, founded in 1920, was the first public school for blacks in Rock Hill. Named for Emmett J. Scott (1873 - 1957), a prominent educator who was then secretary of Howard University, Emmett Scott School included all twelve grades unti11956 and was a junior high and high school from 1956 until South Carolina schools were desegregated in 1970." The original two - story frame school, built in 1920. was demolished in 1952.

(Reverse)
This property is owned by the City of Rock Hill and has been a neighborhood recreation center since the school closed in 1970. Seven principals served the Emmett Scott School during its fifty-year existence: Frank H. Neal 1920 - 1924; L. B. Moore 1924 - 1938; Ralph W. McGirt 1938 - 1959; W. H. Witherspoon 1959 - 1967; George Land 1967; Richard Boulware 1968; Samuel Foster 1969 - 1970.

Erected by Emmett Scott Alumni and Affiliates - 1996