Historic Markers Across South Carolina



First National Bank of Sharon



Marker ID: SCHM 46-32
Location: 4028 Woodlawn St., Sharon, SC
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 57.072    W 081° 20.412
  34.9512    -81.3402
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This bank, built in 1909-10 by W.W. Blair, was the first bank in the town of Sharon, incorporated in 1889. Its first officers were J.H. Saye, president; J.L. Rainey, vice president; and A.M. Haddon, cashier. From 1910 to 1929 the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing produced national bank notes for this bank. It was the only bank in western York County to survive the Depression.

(reverse)
At the time of its merger with First Citizens Bank in 1986 the First National Bank of Sharon was the oldest continuously operating national bank in York County. The bank, with its distinctive arched corner entrance, is part of the Sharon Downtown Historic District, listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.

Erected by the Culture & Heritage Museums of York County, First Citizens Bank, and the Rainey Foundation, 2008