Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Dickey-Sherer House



Marker ID: SCHM 46-33
Location: Wilson Chapel Rd., Sharon, SC
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 54.745    W 081° 22.176
  34.91241666    -81.3696
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
A two-story log house built ca. 1771 for John Dickey (1703-1789) stood about 100 yds. NE until 1988, when it was moved to Kings Mountain State Park. Dickey, a native of Ireland, emigrated to Virginia with his wife Martha McNeely Dickey in 1737. They moved to this area after 1770, when Dickey received a grant of about 175 acres. He was an elder at nearby Bullock Creek Presbyterian Church.

(reverse)
In 1844 Richard Sherer (1796-1888) bought the house and 76 acres from the descendants of Martha McNeely Dickey. Members of the Sherer family lived in the house until ca. 1918. In 1988 Ruth Duncan Latham donated the house to the S.C. Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism. It has been restored and now serves as the park headquarters for Kings Mountain State Park.

Erected by the Broad River Basin Historical Society, 2004