Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. Anne's parochial school



Marker ID: SCHM 46-39
Location: corner of White and Chatham Sts., Rock Hill, SC
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 54.822    W 081° 1.11
  34.9137    -81.0185
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This textile mill, built in 1881, was the first in Rock Hill and the first in S.C. to use steam power. A.E. Hutchison, J.M. Ivy, W.L. Roddey, and A.H. White founded the Rock Hill Cotton Factory to boost the city´s status as a cotton market and to spur further industrial and economic growth. This two-story mill was designed and built by A.D. Holler and modeled after the Camperdown Mill n Greenville.

(reverse)
This was the first of seven textile mills built here from 1881 to 1907. Rock Hill soon became the model of a “New South” city, its population grew from 800 to more than 6,000, and White Street became its “Textile Corridor” and industrial center. This mill, sold and renamed several times before it closed in 1967, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 and renovated into offices in 2007.

Erected by the Culture & Heritage Museums of York County and the City of Rock Hill, 2007