Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Standard Cotton Mill / Highland Park Manufacturing Co.



Marker ID: SCHM 46-40
Location: 369 Standard St., Rock Hill, SC
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 55.218    W 081° 0.647
  34.9203    -81.01078333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

STANDARD COTTON MILL

The Standard Cotton Mill, built in 1888-89, was the second textile mill in Rock Hill. It was promoted by John R. London and financed entirely by local citizens, including schoolchildren, who bought stock for 50¢ a week. Built by contractor A.D. Holler with 200 looms, it expanded to almost 500 looms by 1893, producing gingham cloth, shirting, and towels. The mill was a major factor in the growth and development of Rock Hill for the next 30 years.

HIGHLAND PARK MANUFACTURING CO.


The Standard Cotton Mill was sold to a Charlotte firm and renamed Highland Park Manufacturing Company # 2 in 1898. A significant expansion of the mill in 1907 resulted in the corresponding expansion of this mill village as an important community in Rock Hill. The mill, which closed in 1968, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. It was renovated in 2005 as housing for seniors.

Erected by the City of Rock Hill, 2008