Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Rock Hill High School



Marker ID: SCHM 46-41
Location: at the site of the school, E White St., Rock Hill, SC
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 55.408    W 081° 1.151
  34.92346666    -81.01918333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
Rock Hill High School has its origins in the Rock Hill Graded School, opened in 1888 for grades 1-9. The name Rock Hill High was first used in 1907-08 for a boys´ school housed in the former Presbyterian High School. A property dispute closed the school after a year; its students returned to Rock Hill Graded School. In 1914 a new coeducational Rock Hill High School was built here with students in grades 8-10.

(reverse)
Grade 11 was added in 1917 and grade 12 was added in 1948. Additions or new buildings were constructed 1923-1952. Agriculture and commercial courses were added to standard courses, as were music, art, sports, and other activities. Rock Hill High and Sullivan Jr. High on Eden Terrace traded buildings in 1965. A new Rock Hill High was built on Springdale Rd. in 1977; the 1914 school was torn down in 1978.

Erected by the Rock Hill High School Class of 1961, 2007