Historic Markers Across South Carolina



U.S. Post Office and Courthouse / Citizens’ Building



Marker ID: SCHM 46-42
Location: corner of E. Main and Caldwell Sts., Rock Hill, SC
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 55.501    W 081° 1.555
  34.92501666    -81.02591666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

U.S. POST OFFICE AND COURTHOUSE


This building was described as “handsome in every respect” when it opened in 1932. It replaced a 1906 post office and housed a new district court and federal offices. It served as a post office until 1986 and provided offices and headquarters for several U.S. Congressmen, including Thomas S. Gettys 1965-75. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, it was renamed in honor of Gettys in 1997.

CITIZENS´ BUILDING


This six-story structure was Rock Hill´s first high-rise office building. Built in 1924-25, it opened in 1926 with Citizens Bank & Trust on the 1st floor. The bank closed in 1927. Rock Hill National Bank opened on the 1st floor in 1941 and remained here until 1976. WRHI Radio, one of S.C.´s earliest stations, signed-on with studios on the 2nd floor in 1944 and broadcast from here until 1977. Civil Defense used an observation deck on the roof during World War II.

Erected by the Culture & Heritage Museums of York County and the City of Rock Hill, 2007