Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Black Plantation / Hampton Campaign



Marker ID: SCHM 46-43
Location: corner of Black and Hampton Sts., Rock Hill, SC
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 55.47    W 081° 1.62
  34.9245    -81.027
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

BLACK PLANTATION


This area was once part of the 448.5-acre plantation of Alexander Templeton Black (1798-1875), for whom Church Street was renamed Black Street. In 1851 Black deeded land for a right-of-way and depot to the Charlotte & S.C. Railroad. He also created and sold 23 town lots along a new Main Street, fulfilling his dream to establish a town here. The post office that opened nearby on April 17, 1852 was named “Rock Hill” after the hill the railroad tracks cut through.

HAMPTON CAMPAIGN


The 1876 S.C. gubernatorial election was bitterly contested by Republican Gov. Daniel H. Chamberlain (1835-1907) and Democrat and ex-Confederate general Wade Hampton (1818-1902). On Oct. 12, 1876, citizens welcomed Hampton to Rock Hill near this site; this street was later renamed for him. Mounted Democratic clubs led him to Chatham Ave., where he spoke to a crowd of 3,000. The vote in York County and the upcountry was critical to Hampton´s eventual victory.

Erected by the Culture & Heritage Museums of York County and the City of Rock Hill, 2008