Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Bethesda Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 46-48
Location: 4858 McConnells Hwy. (S.C. Hwy. 322), McConnells, SC
County: York
Coordinates: N 34° 53.88    W 081° 10.64
  34.898    -81.17733333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This church, which held services as early as 1760 about 1 mi. E, gave its name to a Scots-Irish community in this area before the Revolution. It was formally organized in 1769 by Rev. William Richardson. In 1771 John Fondren donated land here for a second frame church, built ca. 1780 after the church 1 mi. E burned.

(reverse)
Rev. Robert B. Walker (1766-1852), the first permanent minister, served here 1794-1834. Bethesda hosted many revivals during the Second Great Awakening. The cemetery dates to 1777, and this brick church was built in 1820. The church and cemetery were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.

Erected by the Congregation for its 250th Anniversary, 2010