Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Unity Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 46-49
Location: 303 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill, SC
County: York
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church, founded in 1788, predates the present town of Fort Mill and has occupied four sites in the vicinity. The first church, a log building, stood about 2 mi. NE in a community known as “Little York.” It burned in 1804. A log church was built 5 blocks N, where the first church cemetery was laid out. That church burned in 1838, and the congregation moved to a site just E of the current location.

(Reverse)
The second church cemetery, laid out nearby, became a municipal cemetery in the 1920s. The third sanctuary, a frame building, burned in 1880. A Romanesque Revival church built here in 1881, featuring a central bell tower, was constructed with bricks made from local clay. It and the historic cemeteries nearby were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. A new sanctuary was built here in 2010.

Erected by the Congregation, 2010