Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Oak Ridge



Marker ID: THC 1D 23
Location: on East Tri County Boulevard (Route 62), Oak Ridge, TN
County: Anderson
Coordinates: N 36° 1.226    W 084° 17.673
  36.02043333    -84.29455
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1943, Oak Ridge was created as the residential center for the Clinton Engineering Works. Located on the northeast corner of a 59,000-acre reservation acquired by the government in 1942, the community was designed by Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill. Architects, in 1945. Oak Ridge reached a peak population of 75,000. On January 1, 1947, the Atomic Energy Commission assumed control of the community, in 1959. Oak Ridge became an incorporated municipality.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission