Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Castle on the Hill



Marker ID: THC 1D 28
Location: TN 95, Anderson County, Oak Ridge Turnpike
County: Anderson
Coordinates: N 36° 1.62    W 084° 14.207
  36.027    -84.23678333
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Castle on the Hill



The Administration Building for the Clinton Engineering Works opened March 15, 1943. Dubbed "The Castle", it became headquarters for the Manhattan Engineering District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, from which all Manhattan Project construction was directed, 1943-1945. The Atomic Energy Commission assumed control of the property on January 1, 1947. "The Castle" was demolished and replaced by the Federal Building in 1970.


Tennessee Historical Commission