Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Chapel-on-the-Hill



Marker ID: THC 1D 33
Location: E. Madison Rd, Oak Ridge, TN
County: Anderson
Coordinates: N 36° 1.778    W 084° 14.525
  36.02963333    -84.24208333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8CB
 



Text:

The Chapel-on-the-Hill



Built in 1943 near the main business district (Jackson Square), this standard Army chapel was soon known with the Manhattan Project as "The Chapel-on-the-Hill". On 30 September 1943 it was dedicated for Jewish, Catholic, and Protestant worship. The United Church, a non-denominational congregation founded 18 July 1943, purchased the chapel in 1955 and continues to worship here. More than 4,000 weddings were celebrated in this ecumenical chapel during the first fifty years.

Tennessee Historical Commission