Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Prelude: The Green McAdoo School



Marker ID:  
Location: Cummings St near West Broad St., Clinton, TN
County: Anderson
Coordinates: N 36° 6.146    W 084° 8.416
  36.10243333    -84.14026666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Freedman's Hill, or Foley Hill as it came to be known, has long been an educational site for the African American community, whether in the schoolhouse built by the Freedman's Bureau after the Civil War, later destroyed by fire, or the churches of Asbury Methodist and Mount Sinai Baptist. Built in 1935, as a New Deal project, the present school was first named the Clinton Colored School. It was designed by architect Frank Barber, and bore similarities to schools funded by the Rosenwald Fund. This philanthropic organization founded by John Julius Rosenwald, constructed schools in black communities throughout the South. In an effort to obtain funding from the organization, the local black community created a Rosenwald School Fund to raise their required share of funding. However, before they could do so, the Rural School Building Program ceased operation following the death of Julius Rosenwald in 1932. Clinton Colored School was renamed in 1947 to Green McAdoo Grammar School in honor of Green L. McAdoo, a former buffalo soldier, landowner, and employee of the Anderson County Courthouse. This school provided education for 1st through 8th grade.