Historic Markers Across Tennessee



City of Pearls



Marker ID:  
Location: on Market Place, Clinton, TN
County: Anderson
Coordinates: N 36° 6.18    W 084° 7.9
  36.103    -84.13166666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

City of Pearls



In 1895, Sam Hendrickson (pictured) started Clinton's pearling industry. Clinton's citizens used braille boats (pictured) with braille hooks (pictured) to drag the bottom of the Clinch River for mussel shells (pictured). Young's Island (pictured) was a popular pearling site, and the Strader Hotel (pictured) was one of the principal pearl trading centers for out-of-town dealers. Clinton was a "City of Pearls" until 1936 when Norris Dam was built, making the Clinch River too cold for the Mussels.

Jessica Thrasher & Angel Patterson.