Historic Markers Across Tennessee



1948



Marker ID:  
Location: Alvin K. Bissell Park, at the intersection of Oak Ridge Turnpike (Tennessee Route 95) and South Tulane Ave, Oak Ridge, TN
County: Anderson
Coordinates: N 36° 0.82    W 084° 15.474
  36.01366666    -84.2579
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

1948



Union Carbide agreed to manage X-10 as well as the Y-12 plant with their new defense mission, and the K-25 uranium enrichment plant. Carbide named Nelson Rucker as X-10 executive director who with Alvin Weinberg instilling a sense of stability as physics leader, revitalized the laboratory, now renamed Oak Ridge National Laboratory. On February 1 radio station WATO went on the air, carrying the voices of AEC Chairman David Lilienthal and Town Councilman Carl Cooper. Frank Wilson, American Legion commander, led a drive to get 50 beds assigned at Oak Ridge Hospital for needy veterans. Renowned violinist Isaac Stern played with the Oak Ridge Symphony Orchestra. In June, John Franklin, manager of AEC’s Oak Ridge Operations Office, announce the AEC’s plan to open the city’s gates to the outside world next year. At a Town Council meeting, some 200 citizens voted 10 to 1 against making Oak Ridge an open city. Community affairs representatives signed a 10-year contract in November with Alfred Hill, a Chester, Pennsylvania, newspaper publisher, to publish a newspaper called “The Oak Ridger”, with Richard Smyser as managing editor.

Given by the K-25 Federal Credit Union and
By the Rotary Club of Oak Ridge, June 2005.



Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia - Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Wikipedia - Manhattan Project
Wikipedia - Manhattan Project National Historical Park
US History for Kids - Manhattan Project Timeline
Secret City Commemorative Walk