Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Church of the Redeemer



Marker ID: THC 3G 24
Location: U.S. 41A, Bedford County, in Shelbyville, North Jefferson and East Lane streets
County: Bedford
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This was Lot 44 of the original town plan. A log church was built here in 1815. The Presbyterians used it, and built the present church in 1817. In 1856, a Catholic congregation bought the building, selling it to the Northern Methodists in 1894. These sold the building at auction in 1934. The Protestant Episcopal Diocese of Tennessee bought it in 1935 and consecrated it in 1936.


Notes:

From the THC Book