Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Clement Cannon, Sr.



Marker ID: THC 3G 29
Location: at the intersection of Judge Mac Farrar Memorial Highway (State Highway 82) and South Brittain Street, Shelbyville, TN
County: Bedford
Coordinates: N 35° 28.075    W 086° 27.11
  35.46791666    -86.45183333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Born in NC, 1783; veteran of the War of 1812; early Bedford County manufacturer; Whig political leader. In 1810 Cannon provided 100 acres of land for the site of the "Town of Shelbyville" and in 1817 donated 5 acres to Dickson Academy and a lot to a local church. He died in 1860 and is buried in the Cannon Cemetery 400 feet southwest.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.