Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Shelbyville, Tennessee



Marker ID:  
Location: 201 N. Spring St., Shelbyville, TN
County: Bedford
Coordinates: N 35° 29.016    W 086° 27.677
  35.4836    -86.46128333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Shelbyville, Tennessee
Celebrating the First 200 Years



Shelbyville was established in 1810 on 100 acres of land donated by Clement Cannon (1783-1860), local manufacturer and veteran of the War of 1812. The city was named in honor of General Isaac Shelby (1750-1826), statesman and noted Revolutionary War hero who led colonial forces to victory at King's Mountain. The town was formally chartered on October 7, 1819.

Erected by Bedford County Historical Society.