Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Martin Shofner 1758 - 1838



Marker ID:  
Location: on Alternate U.S. 41 just west of Shofner Road, Shelbyville, TN
County: Bedford
Coordinates: N 35° 26.823    W 086° 19.78
  35.44705    -86.32966666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Son of Michael, an immigrant from Frankfurt on Main, Germany in 1760. Migrated by covered wagon, horseback and afoot from North Carolina in 1808 with his family and settled this tract of land on Thompson's creek. The land was granted to him by the Continental Congress for military service rendered his country during the Revolutionary war as a cavalryman in a North Carolina regiment under Gen. Green. Near this place in a log cabin the first Lutheran Church in Middle Tennessee was founded in 1808 and in 1871 the present Shofner Lutheran church building was erected on land donated by his son, Austin. Martin Shofner, pioneer settler of Bedford Co, Patriarch of Lutheranism and his wife, Catherine Cook Shofner lie buried under these shones

Erected 1961 by W. O. Jenkins of Puebla, Mexico