Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Tranquility



Marker ID: THC 4A 30
Location: Main St. & Westview Ave., Camden, TN
County: Benton
Coordinates: N 36° 03.504    W 088° 06.656
  36.0584    -88.11093333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAAFE
 



Text:

Tranquility


An early post office of this name was opened Sept. 28, 1835, in the home of William H.H. Burton, which stood at this site. It remained here until Aug. 27, 1837, when it was moved to the public square of Camden and the name changed to "Camden." Samuel H. Burton was the first postmaster. In this Burton home, Benton County was organized Feb. 7, 1836, and the County Court met here until the Courthouse was built.

Tennessee Historical Commission