Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Mansion



Marker ID: THC 1A 19
Location: 1013 Broad Street, Elizabethton, TN
County: Carter
Coordinates: N 36° 21.217    W 082° 12.256
  36.35361666    -82.20426666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2A97
 



Text:

“The Mansion” was built before 1780 by John Carter and his son Landon. John Carter was chairman of the Watauga Association, a court of five men elected by the settlers of the Watauga Count in May 1772, “to govern and direct for the common good of all the people.” Carter County is named for Landon and Elizabethton is named for his wife Elizabeth MacLin. The family cemetery is located to the east of the house.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.