Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Williams-Taylor House



Marker ID: THC 1A 116
Location: On Gov. Alf Taylor Road, Johnson City, TN
County: Carter
Coordinates: N 36° 17.806    W 082° 17.815
  36.29676666    -82.29691666
Waymark: WM2A9E
 



Text:

The Edmund Williams family, pioneers of the area, owned the original log cabin at this site. Owner Joshua Williams (1808-1895) enlarged the house and in 1866 gave land for Buffalo Institute. Now Milligan College, it was established by Col. W.G. Baker, who died here in 1905. In 1908, the house was purchased by former Congressman Alfred A. Taylor (1848-1931), known for "Tennessee's War of the Roses" and governor from 1921 to 1923. It was the long-time home of U.S. District Judge Robert L. Taylor (1899-1987). who in 1956 ordered the racial desegregation of Clinton High School.