Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Historic Front Street



Marker ID: THC 4C 33
Location: On Front Street, south of W. Main St., Henderson, TN
County: Chester
Coordinates: N 35° 26.274    W 088° 38.504
  35.4379    -88.64173333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM13E1
 



Text:

The town of Henderson was begun on this street in 1860. First known as Dayton, the town's name was changed to Henderson Station during the Civil War. In 1860, Polk Bray opened the first store. Confederates led by A.B. Crook captured the railroad depot in an 1862 skirmish fought here. A Confederate States of America recruitment station was located here for the 51st and 52nd Tennessee Infantry, C.S.A